Friday, October 19, 2012

If there was a way to bring people together it would be with a plate of hummus


I will spend a lot of time here exploring the role of food amongst family and friends, but I am quite fascinated by the possibilities of using food to improve our communities.  I cannot help but wonder what the impact has been of farmers’ markets and communal gardens.  I like to imagine that food could be used to achieve lasting social and political change.  We know Tip O’Neill and Ronald Reagan loved to have a drink together.  What if we could get currently-opposed politicians to the table over food?  How about Sunni and Shitte?  Palestinian and Israeli?  This interview got my imagination going… http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/10/15/162805706/jerusalem-a-love-letter-to-food-and-memories-of-home

No comments: