Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pissota con l'Oio



I had the pleasure twice in the past week to make a delicious Olive Oil Cake.  I know that likely sounds weird, but it is so wonderfully easy to make and delicious.  I first found the recipe a few years ago.  Not being a baker by any stretch of the imagination, I needed something unique, but easy.  This fit the bill the first time I made it, but this time… well, this recipe should be in everyone’s repertoire. 

I found it on Saveur’s website.  I find that to be a great source of recipes that are normally easy, authentic and great to eat.  But this time I dressed it up.  I know, you’re thinking you can’t mess with baking.  Improv and baking do not mix.  Baking is like chemistry; if you fiddle with quantities and ingredients you risk too much.   But risk is fun, live a little.

I followed the recipe carefully, but did the following:
Doubled the lemon zest and used the juice from half a lemon
Included about a table spoon of poppy seeds
Was generous with the booze, in the style of Julia Child.  I used Cointreau.
Before I poured the batter in the bundt pan I sprinkled just a little rock sea salt in the pan

When I was ready to serve it I drizzled chocolate sauce over it recklessly, making a mess all over the counter, which I had proactively spread paper towels on.  To serve I included a scoop of lemon sorbet and a couple mint leaves.  I wish I had a picture, but we were all having too much fun to stop for such a thing.  I will do it again, and include a picture then.  In the meantime, try this recipe.  The kids love it, adults love it, and it’s versatile.  It could be iced, served alongside a cup of coffee in the morning, or done as a dessert as I did.  Go for it.  And when you tell people it’s olive oil cake, most will be surprised and intrigued.  And wait till the salt pops in their mouths.  The smiles are priceless.        
Post a Comment